Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Funny thing about the bread of idleness....

"She watches over the affairs of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness."  --Proverbs 31:27

Funny thing about the bread of idleness:  it's often craftily disguised as needed rest or earned down-time.  At least for me, what I mean to be a five-minute break turns into a 30-minute exchange on Facebook or finishing a book instead of just a chapter.  I can spend a night out with my DH, and suddenly I'm looking for other opportunities to slip away with him for a cup of coffee or running errands. I think I'm going to scratch out a note or two, and the next thing I know, I have outlines for a half-dozen blog posts, a list of ideas to study and research for a book, and an itchy brain that will keep me awake all night. Meanwhile, the children are chasing fireflies in the rain-soaked back yard nearly an hour past when I meant to send them to bed. *sigh*

It's the same story, different day. It's about balance. It's about being diligent in what is before me today, and trusting that tomorrow will come with it's own provision for its tasks. It's about cherishing and nurturing the vision of what's ahead without squandering today's blessings. It's about focus...on my DAILY bread as it is provided.  Because when I'm being fed by that, I don't have much appetite for the bread of idleness.

No comments: