Friday, April 22, 2011

Music est totus

It's Good Friday.  I've been trying to think of something to offer in contemplating Holy Week, but my mind keeps turning back to music.  The Eucharistic hymns of St. Thomas Aquinas...the passion hymns from centuries of Christian devotion...these are swirling in my mind and spilling from my lips this week.    So I'll leave you the "playlist" for my week in hopes that you will find a place to contemplate the Passion and death of the Lord, and truly celebrate His resurrection.

What Wondrous Love is This
O Sacred Head Surrounded
Were You There
Pange Lingua
Verbum Supernum
Ave Verum Corpus

1 comment:

John L. Wright said...

Let's see here...
I see the Aquinas.
You also have included in your list a Shaker hymn, an African-American spiritual, and an ancient hymn attributed to Pope Innocent III (Ave Verum). Sounds like your local music director is neurotically eclectic.